Monday, May 25, 2009

5k then a 10k ... I think I'm crazy!

So on Saturday the 9th I ran a 5k (3.1 miles) with Cala, Tasha & Karlene. It was the first race for all of us. It turned out to be so much fun that Cala, Karlene & I were crazy enough to think we'd ran a 10k the following Saturday.
Felt great after the race actually. It was a sweet sense of accomplishment. I finished in 30:40. Not too shabby for not being able to train much for it since I had a head cold that week. Cala came in at 28:15 (I believe), Tasha at 31 minutes and Karlene was around 35 minutes.
On Sunday my shin splints started hurting, but wasn't too unbearable. I iced them the next couple of days. Cala, Karlene & I ran on Tuesday evening and it took the first mile to get used to the pain from the shin splints. Cala ran 4 miles and Karlene and I took a wrong turn and only ended up running 3.5 miles, but it felt great. I wasn't able to running again that week before the 10k due to my hubby leaving out of town. Well, Saturday came around and I was very excited! We were in the front of the line and Cala and I took off in a mad sprint. BAD IDEA!!!! Don't EVER do this. It took about a half a mile to get my breathing down from sprinting. I did intervals in the my running. I'd run as far as I could then take a 30 second walk and run again. I did this throughout the entire run. After the 4th mile it felt like pure death the rest of the way. Keep in mind by now I had a chest cold. So I really had to focus on my breathing. Anyway, that last 1.5 miles was really hard but I pulled threw and finished in 1 hour and 7 minutes. I will probably try again in a month or two. I will FOR SURE train better though.
Woke up Sunday and felt like a truck hit me. My calves, shins, quads & stomach muscles were VERY sore. My shin splints hurt SO SO SO BAD!!! So I've rested as much as I could this week and will try to run a couple miles today and work back into it. All in all I'm so glad I did it!

Race for the cure (5k)

Tasha, Cala, Me & Karlene

Yes, we had a good time!

My 10k heading down the finish line

The whole crew! Cade, Dan, Cala, Jenny, Amy, Karlene & Me

1 comment:

Anne said...

I have to say I'm really impressed! I just cannot imagine running anything close to that. (I can run for about a minute before I have to stop :P) You should be so proud of yourself! :)