Sunday, August 26, 2007

Eventful Week!

We went to the fair on Monday night with my family. Since Collin has a cast on they wouldn't let him ride any rides. He was so bummed, as were we. So we walked around and saw the animals. Jordon and Collin enjoyed touching the animals and Collin liked feeding them. It kind of freak Jordon out to have the large tongues lick her hand so she didn't like it. Collin got on a bull and I took his picture. He was very proud.
It started to get cooler out and windy so Bruce and I took off early. I was able to get a picture of us while it was still nice out.
So Bruce decided to shave his head bald. I'm not sure if I like it. It is a testing period I guess ... He wanted to see what he eventually is going to look like. I told him that I would rather he keep his hair while he has it. It doesn't look bad, but I prefer the hair. :) You be the judge. LOLSo these last couple of days have been crazy and exciting all in one. On Tuesday night I went with my sisters and about 9 other girls to the Josh Groban concert. It was fabulous!!! He is such on amazing performer and has come out of his shell since the last concert we went to 4 years ago. He is quite humorous and very much a crowd pleaser. Much to our surprise at the beginning of one song he came walking down the aisle we were sitting in and I was able to shake his hand and touch his arm. It was such an adrenaline rush. What a great experience. Before the concert all 12 of us girls went to Texas Roadhouse for dinner ... YUM!!! It was so nice to get out and have girls night.

Wednesday night Kamila flew in. Collin went with me to the airport. He was very excited to met Kamila. We waited and waited and no sign of her. There had been a seating arrangement problem in Atlanta that I thought I had taken care of over the phone earlier in the morning after receiving a distressed email from Kamila's mother. I asked 2 of the stewardess on her flight if she was on there and they had told me no. That I should go down to the baggage claim and speak with the attendant down there. I walked down there fear full for Kamila and what had happened. While I was waiting in line he paged for Bruce Baird. I explained that was my husband and that I was waiting for my foreign exchange student. She apparently WAS on the plane and was looking for me. I felt awful! She must have been so scared. I finally saw her and gave her a big hug and told her how sorry I was, and that they had told me she wasn't on the plane. Her English is not very good. You have to talk very slow and in the 3 1/2 days she has been here she has already gotten much better. These first couple of days have been very hard for her as she is very homesick. Her family calls her a lot (she has a cell phone) and also a webcam on her laptop. I think she is so brave to coming here and doing this.
Thursday was registration for school. It took us 3 hours because they didn't have any info on her and the gal at Centennial High that is in charge of foreign exchange students wasn't there. Imagine that!! Anyway, we got things taken care of and her registered. She is extremely scared of the school being so big. I think she'll adjust and be fine after a week or two. What an amazing experience she is going to have.
On Friday we went to Boondocks and play mini-golf, batting cages and the go-karts. She had a blast. She has never played any of them and had a great time.
On Saturday we had a BBQ with family and friends. It was very overwhelming for her. She was very homesick for her family and tired at the same time. After enduring about an hour and a half of caos she went upstairs to sleep. We didn't see her again until the next morning. She apologized for leaving the party and explained it was too hard for her seeing us with friends and family. I told her no need to apologise that I totally understood and for her to take all the time she needs. It has been so nice to have her here. She is great at helping around the house. She does the dishes, cleans and even helps Collin and Jordon get breakfast in the mornings. I couldn't have picked a better student. I already love her dearly.








1 comment:

Jensen Five said...

Sounds busy! I'm thinking I might need to get myself a foreign exchange student. Kamila sounds like a dream with her helping and all. I was going to mention to you that Schuyler's brother, Zac, served his mission in Chezkoslavakia. He'll be at Jenny's reception so maybe they can talk in her native tongue! I'm excited to meet her. Oh, and I think Bruce looks rather distinguished without any hair!