Thursday, November 11, 2010

Alexa's Birth

So I'm finally getting around to blog about Alexa's birth. I woke up at 3:30am to get ready for the day and finish packing. We were out the door by 4:30am to head to the hospital for my scheduled induction at 5am. We waited about 20 mins in Triage until they pulled me back into my room. The nurse got me hooked out to the pitocin by 6:15am and about 30 mins later got my epidural. I was a little anxious about getting my epidural because with Sienna when they placed the catheter into my spine it zapped me pretty good. Nothing bad, just startled me. This time the anesthesiologist went slow so that wouldn't happen. Worked beautifully. Dr. Lowder came in at 7am and broke my water. By 11:34am I was ready to push. After about 15 mins of pushing Dr. Lowder called his office to let them know this was gonna take a little while. The little stinker was SO big and was having a heck of a time coming down. We were worried about shoulder dystocia. About 25 mins or so into pushing I got sick and threw up. This was a first for me. Finally about 45 mins into the pushing and the nurses pushing on the top of my belly and on my pelvis to get Alexa out she made her debute. Weighing in at 9lbs 13oz and 20 3/4 inches long. They assessed her and said that her shoulder was not broken just very bruised but she was blue and having trouble breathing. They took her to the NICU and after about 4 hours an x-ray and echo they figured out that she had transposed great arteries. The only cure for this was open heart surgery. Not what you want to hear, but at least they could fix it and the surgery has a 95% success rate.
She and I flew out Sunday morning on life flight to Spokane Washington. It was such a surreal experience. They had to give her a medicine that kept a hole in her heart so that her blood would still mix. The medication makes them feel irritated so they kept her sedated so that she wouldn't be in any pain. We arrived in Spokane about 10am and get her checked into Sacred Heart Medical Center. The doctors and nurses here are amazing!! They have been super supportive and helpful through this whole process.
Last belly pic

Getting assessed

Super puffy from the grand entrance

No comments: